Friday, May 10, 2013

Eros Plus Melody Vol. 30 (SC 139)



For me, image and music are irrevocably intertwined. From my first listening memories, I recall dissecting the details of album art, often through the entirety of an album, the cover having a profound effect on the way I interpreted the music. Today I could reference uncountable instances when I've heard a song sans artwork and was not at all affected by it, but then once seeing the album art, instantly hearing it with a fresh set of ears.

The relationship between sex and violence is at root in much of Euro and especially Italian cinema of the kind shared here (Think Elio Petri's Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion). Some of the tracks selected for the Eros Plus Melody series often had little outwardly sexual connotation. But once juxtaposed with an image suggesting sex, or eroticism, the songs, at least for me, altered their appearance. Ultimately, after listening to each of these volumes dozens of times, the songs have transformed and taken on an enduring eroticism in the way I'll hear and visualize them into the future.


Alas, the EPM series has fully exhausted itself. I accomplished more than I wanted with the series, and it's time to move on to other things. The blog will remain open until I'm struck with some other idea. It could be weeks, months, who knows... My love for music runs deep and through a multitude of genres, roots reggae, funk, blues, afrobeat, afrocuban, much of which is reflected in older entries of this blog. So we'll press hold and wait for this blog's apotheosis.

In the meantime, I promised to re-up older albums from the blog, especially those with the Sound Compendium label, so if you have a request, leave it in the comments below and I'll be happy to re-up. I will, however, limit it to a one-time re-up, so jump in and get it before it expires on zippy.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and check back every so often for the resurrection of the Sound Compendium Home Library.











10 comments:

  1. Well done to you - Fantastic effort & result !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you highplainsdrifter for this terrific collection.
    I take this opportunity to ask you if you could re-up SC102-103-104-105-106a-106b-107-108-109
    and Mass Transit 1-2-3.
    That would be great.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guy is a legend ...let him enjoy "retirement" , Too late .....too bad !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great run, highplainsdrifter!!! So many thanx again for all you've done here!! I know I'm very much enjoying the fruits that your labor of music love has given me!! I really hope your next project, whatever it many be, brings as much enjoyment to you as this series has done for me!! Good luck and thanx again!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Highplainsdrifter! Thank you so much! Your "Eros" compilation-series is unique, fantastic & a funky great tribute to "italian soundtracks & european grooves of the 1970s" - I love every single part of it, from No.1 up to No.30 - and very often, your compilations made my days! For me, you are a great compiler & a great cover-artist too! It was a honor for me to be able support you with some pictures & music ... that we became friends makes me very happy too! Have a funky good time! Yours ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super stuff! I have enjoyed the ride. Thank you for all your effort. If anyone wants past editions reupped please email me. upkerry (no. fourteen) at gmail dottttt commmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. very sad, all links are unavailable...

    ReplyDelete